In this guide, I will explain in detail how to add a caption to an image on Word. To do so, I will use Office 2019 (Office 365), the latest version of Microsoft. However, the indications that I will give you in the next paragraphs are also valid for the older versions, from 2007 onwards.
Table of Contents
- Add a caption to an image on Word
Add a caption to an image on Word
To add a caption to images on Word, first you need to add the image, and then you can add the text.
Add images in a document
- Open Word and open the file to edit.
- Select Insert, at the top, on the toolbar, and click on Picture.
- Select the picture you want to add and click Insert.
Add a caption to an image
- Click on the image to which you want to add text.
- Then click References, at the top, on the toolbar.
- Click Insert Caption.
- In the window that opens, select Figure from the Label list.
- Type the text you want to add after the label, in the Caption text field, and press the OK.
By default, the label is Figure 1, Figure 2 … Figure [N]. To remove it, put the check mark next to Exclude label from caption.
If you want to create a new label, you just have to click New label. Then type the new label in the Label box and click OK.
In addition, you can make the captions not below but above the image by choosing Above selected item from the Position drop-down menu.
Change the text of the caption
The text of the captions inserted in Word can be easily modified.
- Select the caption with your mouse and click Caption in the Style Gallery.
- Then click Modify and set the font size, color, and other option you prefer.
When you are done, click File, located in the upper left corner of the screen, and select Save or Save As to save the document.
Delete a caption
To delete a caption you just have to select the caption and press delete.
Note: Word is also available as a Web application, that you can use for free from all major browsers (all you need is a Microsoft account). At this time, however, it does not offer the possibility to add captions to the images through a specific function. And, unfortunately, neither the mobile version of Word, available for Android, iOS and Windows 10 Mobile, offers the possibility to add captions to the images.