Do you need to insert comments in a Word document? In this tutorial, I’ll explain to you how to add comments in Word to suggest corrections and changes to the Word document.
Table of Contents
- Comment Function in Microsoft Word
- Add comments in Word: software version and online version
- Add comments in Word for mobile
Comment Function in Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word is the word processor from Microsoft and includes a lot of interesting functions. One of these functions is the comment function, which allows you to add comments to specific parts of a document to report edits, corrections, and revisions to the document, without changing the document’s text.
Microsoft Word is not available only for computer/Mac, but also as free online service and as an app for mobile (Android and iOS).
In all the version of Word is possible to add comments to a Word document, but the procedures to follow are different.
Add comments in Word: software version and online version
To add a comment in Word:
- Select the text you want to “comment”
- Then, click on the Review tab on the toolbar at the top, and choose New Comment.
- A box will appear on the right.
- Type your comment in the box and then save it by clicking on the paper plain icon. Word will add a bubble in the document’s margin to indicate that there is a comment. To read the comment just click on the bubble and the comment box will open.
If in a document there are a lot of comments, you can shift from one comment to the other by using the Next and Previous buttons, located in the Review Tab.
Who will read your comment, will be able to add more comments (following the same procedure) or reply to your comments.
Reply to a comment
Reply to a comment is really easy:
- Click on the bubble you find in the document’s margin to open the comments box.
- Then select Reply and type your comment.
- Finally, click Post (the paper plane icon) to add your reply.
If Word does not automatically display the comments in a document, go to the Review tab, on the toolbar at the top, and click on Show Comments.
Delete a comment
Once you’ve written your comment, you can even edit it or delete it. Simply click on the bubble and then click Edit if you want to modify the comment, or click Delete if you prefer to remove the comment.
Add comments in Word for mobile
As anticipated, it’s possible to add comments to a Word document even in mobile versions of Word for Android and iOS.
Of course, to insert a comment in a Word document, you need to install the app on your mobile device. The app is available for the download in the Google Play for Android devices and in the Apple Store for iOS devices.
After downloading and installing the app on your smartphone, to add a comment:
- Take your phone and open the Word app by clicking on its icon on the home screen of your device.
- Then open the document where you want to add a comment.
- Now, the (…) button located at the bottom right and select the Insert or Review tabs from the drop-down menu that appears at the bottom left.
- Then, type your comment and then Save.