Would you like to save your favorite websites and access them quickly without typing their URL? In this guide, I will explain how to add favorites to Safari. I will show you how to save a website in your favorites from Mac, and iPhone, how to add the Favorites Bar and, finally, how to import your favorites from your old browser to Safari.
Table of Contents
- Difference between bookmarks and favorites
- Add favorites on Safari on Mac
- Add the Favorites bar on Safari
- Import favorites to Safari
- Add favorites on Safari on iPhone and iPad
Difference between bookmarks and favorites
On Safari browser, the bookmarks are used to save links/URLs. Favorites is a sub-folder of the bookmarks, where you can add the websites that you visit more often to access them more quickly.
Add favorites on Safari on Mac
The procedures for adding favorites on Safari on Mac is quick and easy. There are many ways to add favorites on Safari:
First method: menu bar
- Turn on your Mac and open Safari browser.
- Go to the website that you want to add by entering its URL in the address bar at the top.
- Then click Bookmarks in the menu bar, at the top, and select Add Bookmark.
- In the new windows that appears, choose Favorite from the drop down menu, under Add this page to. In the same window you can even add a description of the URL you’re adding.
Second method: share button
- Go to the site you want to add on favorites.
- Then click the Share button (the square with an arrow) located at the top right.
- Select Add Bookmark from the menu that opens.
- Choose Favorite from the drop down menu, under Add this page to.
Third method: address bar
- Go to the page you want to add to your favorites.
- Click on the address of the website. It will appear a box.
- Drag its icon on the box.
- Put the mouse pointer on the address bar, without clicking. It will appear a “+” button.
- Clcik the “+” button and select Favorites from the menu that appears.
Fourth method: favorites bar
- First of all you have to enable the Favorites bar.
- Then place the mouse pointer on the URL in the Safari address bar, do a long click on it and drag the URL to the favorites bar.
In this case, you can rename the label: right-click on its name, select the Rename option from the menu that appears, enter the new name.
Add the Favorites bar on Safari
To enable the Favorites bar:
- Open Safari browser.
- Click View from the menu bar, at the top
- Then select Show Favorites Bar.
Alternatively, you can add the button related to the Favorites Bar on the toolbar:
- Open Safari browser.
- Click View from the menu bar.
- Select Customize Toolbar.
- Then drag the Favorites Bar icon (the icon with a star) into the toolbar.
- Now, click the new icon to enable the Favorites Bar.
Import favorites to Safari
Have you changed your browser and would like to import your favorites on Safari? It’s pretty easy. Follow the steps below.
- Start Safari.
- Click File located in the menu bar, at the top
- Choose the Import from option.
- From the menu that appears, choose the browser from which you want to import the favorites (eg Chrome).
- Then, from the window that appears, put the check mark next to Bookmarks
- Finally click Import.
Add Favorites on Safari on iPhone and iPad
If you want to add your favorites sites on Safari on iPhone (or iPad), follow the steps below.
- Take your mobile device and start Safari browser.
- Go to the web page you want to add and tap the Share button located in the toolbar, at the bottom.
- Now, click the Add to Favorites option.
- Finally, tap Save.
- Make a long tap on the Bookmarks button (the open book icon)
- Select Add bookmark.
- Then choose Favorites under the Location section.
- Finally, click Save.
To view your favorite sites fron iPhone:
- Tap the Bookmarks button located in the toolbar at the bottom.
- select the Bookmarks tab (the open book icon).
- Tap the Favorites option to view the complete list of your favorites websites.
In this section you can delete a website from favorites:
- Click Edit, located at the bottom right.
- Then tap the “-” button next to the Internet page you want to delete from Favorites.