In this guide, I’ll explain to you how to add the ruler in Word. The ruler is already integrated into the program. You just have to activate the option.
Table of Contents
How to add the ruler in Word
In Word for Mac
If you are a Mac user, to add the ruler in Microsoft Word, follow the steps below:
- Open Word on your Mac and then open a Word document. You can open an already existing file or create a new one.
- Then click on the View tab located at the top
- Put a check mark next to Ruler box.
If you need the vertical ruler and this is not displayed:
- Click on the Word menu located at the top left.
- Select Preferences.
- Then click View under Authoring and Proofing Tools.
- Finally, in the View dialog box, under Show window elements, put a check mark next to Vertical ruler.
In Word for Windows
If you are a Windows user:
- Start the program and open a Word document or click to create an empty Document.
- Then, click on the View tab located at the top.
- Select the Ruler check box, and the horizontal ruler will be immediately shown on the screen.
If you want to display the vertical ruler:
- Go to the File tab, located in the top left corner.
- Choose Options and then Advanced.
- Under Display insert a check mark next to Show vertical ruler in the Print Layout view.
Insert ruler in Word Online
Currently, it’s not possible to show the ruler in Word Online. But if you need to change borders, margins and more, you can use the functions available in the Layout tab, created for this purpose.
Insert ruler in Word for smartphone and tablet
At the moment, it is not possible to display the ruler in the Word app for Android and iOS smartphones and tablets.
However, if you need to change the margins and spaces within the documents, you can relevant functions.
To change the margins, you have to go to the View section of the app by pressing the A icon with a pencil.
To change the line spacing and paragraph spacing, tap the Edit icon and then, in the Home section, tap paragraph/line spacing.