This guide will explain to you in detail how to block unwanted websites by giving you all the necessary instructions both for computers and for smartphones.
Table of Contents
- Block unwanted websites on PC
- Block unwanted websites on smartphones
Block unwanted websites on PC
The easiest way to block unwanted sites on pc is through the browser. You just have to install the correct extension and indicate the sites you want to make unreachable.
If you are a Mac user and you’re using Safari as your browser, the procedure is even easier. You don’t need to install any additional extension for the browser. You just have to create a dedicated account exclusively for people you want to inhibit access to “prohibited” sites. To do it, follow the steps below.
- Click the Apple icon, on the top right.
- Select System Preferences and then click Parental Controls.
- Flag the box next to Create a new user account with parental controls and click Continue.
- If required, enter your administrator password and click Unblock.
- Fill in the form with the Full name of the account user, the Account name and the Password. Then click Create user.
- Select the Web section, put the check mark next to Try to limit access to adult websites and click Customize …
- Now click the button (+) under the box Never allow these websites.
- Type the address of the site you want to block (eg, www.Instagram.com) and click OK.
Now, you have to ensure that the user accesses to the computer using the “limited” account created previously and not with your administrator account.
If you use Google Chrome as your browser, you can use the Block Site extension. It allows you to set up blocks on specific Internet sites. You just have to visit them and then set it up correctly.
- Open the Google Chrome browser and go to the Block Site page on the Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome and then click Add extension.
- When the installation is complete, enter the website you want to inhibit (e.g. facebook.com) in the address field, in the middle of the screen and click “+.” The block is immediately operational and, whenever you try to view the blocked website, you will see a block’s page.
If you want to block a website only in some hours, you can set up a blocking schedule. You just have to click Schedule at the top right and set up the days and the hours. Then, to remove the blocking schedule, click Schedule and press Remove.
If you want to protect the changes, I suggest you set a password to change the Block Sites options.
- On the left sidebar, click Password Protection and click Protect your BlockSite Options and the Chrome Extension with a password.
- Enter the password and an email to activate the protection. Then click Save.
- You’ll receive an email with a link. Click it to verify your email address.
- Now the Password Protection will be active.
Block Site also allows you to block unwanted sites for children, such as adult sites. To proceed, on the left sidebar, next to Block Adult Sites, move the lever to ON, on the right.
It’s even possible to block some URLs (Internet addresses) that contain one or more “forbidden” words. On the left sidebar, click Block by Words and enter the words you want to block.
Block unwanted websites on smartphones
It’s possible even to block unwanted websites on smartphones. If your phone is an Android mobile, you have to use a third-party app. If you have an iOS device, you can use the built-in function of Apple.
There is a specific function to inhibit the visit to unwanted sites through Safari on iOS devices.
- Tap Settings, on your device’s Home screen.
- Go to Screen Time and then tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Move to ON the lever next to Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap Content Restrictions on content and then on Web content.
- Select Limit adult websites. In this way, Safari will block all adult sites. If you want to add specific sites to the block, tap Never Allow and type site’name in the addresses field. Likewise, if you want to add sites to make them always reachable, tap Always Allow and enter the URL.
If you’re using an Android mobile, to inhibit unwelcome Internet sites, you need to download an app. I suggest the Norton Family Parental Control app. With the app, you can prevent the display of selected sites if you use the Google Chrome browser or the integrated browser Norton.
Norton Family Parental Control requires a free subscription to the service: this service. There is also a Premium version, but the functionality of blocking websites is also provided for the free version.
- Go to Play Store and download the Norton Family Parental Control app on your device.
- Once the app is opened, press Accept. Then tap Create account and fill out the form with an email and password, select your country and tap Create account. Your credentials will be used for the restrictions and to uninstall the app in the future.
- Now tap Create Profile, and fill out the form with the name of the child, sex of the child and birth. Then tap Create and Choose your Child’s Device. Then tap Next, Next and Done.
- Now you can set up the restrictions on websites. Go to the Internet site of Norton Family, click Log In at the top right, and enter your credentians access (email and password).
- Click the Child Name, and then, on the Home Rules section, move all the levers to OFF, except for the Norton Family stick and the one in the Web Surveillance panel that must remain active.
- Click on Settings and put the check mark next to the High: blocks the website.
- Click Deselect all to delete the default block categories set by Norton and click Add under the Restricted Websites box. Type the address of the websites you want to block
- Then click Save. After a few seconds, the restrictions will be “transferred” to your device and you will no longer be able to access the blocked sites through Google Chrome and the browser of Norton.