This guide will show you how to change the language in Word. In detail, the tutorial will explain how to change the spelling and grammar check language in Word and how to change the interface language in Word.
Table of Contents
- Change the spelling and grammar check language in Word
- Change the interface language in Word
Change the spelling and grammar check language in Word
Changing the language of Word’s spell checker on MacOS is really simple.
- Open Word by clicking its icon from the Launchpad.
- Click with the cursor in the document, where you want to start typing text. If you’ve already typed the text, select it.
- Then click Review, at the top, on the toolbar.
- Then click Spelling & Grammar to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Set Proofing Language and choose the new language.
- Click OK to confirm.
If you use the Word app for Android or iOS, follow the steps below.
- Open the Word app by tapping on its icon from the home screen of your device.
- Create a new document or open an existing one.
- Tap on the three dots icon, at the bottom and then tap Home, at the bottom right.
- Select Review and tap Proofing Tools.
- Then select Proofing Language and choose the language.
- The document will be checked, and errors will be highlighted.
Change the interface language in Word
If you want to change the interface language (menu), follow the steps below.
In MacOS, the language of Microsoft Word automatically adapts to the language used by the operating system. It means that to change language on Word you have to change the language of macOS.
- Open System Preferences by clicking on its icon (the gear) in the Launchpad.
- Select Language and Region and check out the Preferred Languages section. If you view the language of your, drag it to the top of the list. If you can not see the language of your interest, click the [+] button to add the new language. Then move it to the top of the list.
- Close the System Preferences, and restart the Mac
- Open Word again. The interface language in Word should be the same than the operating system.
Like for the Mac, to change the interface language in the Word app, it is necessary to change the language of the whole operating system.
- Take the iPhone and tap on Settings.
- Then tap General.
- Scroll down until Language & Region. Tap it and then tap iPhone Language (or iPad Language).
- Select the language you are interested in.
- Tap Done, at the top right, then tap Change to “[language choice”] at the bottom and wait a few seconds.
- Open the Word app and verify that the language of the interface has been changed; otherwise, restart the device.