Do you need a new folder but you’re not sure how to create a folder on Mac and how to share it? Don’t worry, in this guide, I will teach you how to create a folder on macOS, share it and create a special type of folders, such as the smart folder.
Table of Contents
- Create a folder on macOS
- Create a new folder from selected files
- Create a smart folder
- Create a shared folder
- Create a burn folder
Create a folder on macOS
To create a folder on Mac, follow the steps below:
- Open your MacOS and go where you want to create the new folder. For example, you can create one on the desktop or in another folder.
- Then right-click on an empty spot on the screen. From the menu that appears, select New Folder. A new folder will be created and will be named Untitled folder.
Alternatively, you can click on File, in the top menu bar and select New folder.
Create a new folder from selected files
If you want to create a new folder starting from one or more selected files:
- Select the files you want to include in the new folder.
- Click File, in the top menu bar.
- Then choose New folder with selection (X items). In this way, MacOS will create a folder containing the selected files. The folder will be in the same location as the selected files, and the name will be Untitled Folder. To rename it, first you have to select the folder, then click on its name and finally, type the new name. Alternatively, you can select the folder, click File and then Rename.
Notes: When you rename a folder on Mac, you cannot use some special characters such as the colon.
Create a smart folder
Smart folders are used to group files and folders based on the parameters set by the user. For example all the images on the computer or more recent files.
To create a smart folder:
- Click on File in the top menu bar
- Select New Smart Folder.
- In the new screen that opens, you have to choose where the search should be performed. So, click This Mac or Desktop.
- Then click the button with the + located at the top right, and use the drop-down menus to set the search parameters. Using the buttons with the + and – symbols, you can add or remove parameters.
- Finally, click Save, at the top right, to save the Smart Folder.
- Then, enter the name of the folder and indicate where to save it.
Create a shared folder
If you want to create a new folder to share on Internet or to create a network with another PC or in the cloud with other users, first of all, you have to enable the sharing function in the MacOS settings. To do it:
- Click on the apple icon, located in the upper left corner of the menu bar.
- From the menu that opens, click System Preferences and then choose Sharing.
- In the new screen, put then check mark next to File Sharing and then press the Options button.
- Now you have to enable the sharing via SMB and AFP. So, put the check mark next to Share files and folder using SMB and Share files and folder using AFP. SMB and AFP are two acronyms: Server Message Block (SMB) and Apple Filing Protocol (AFP). They are used to exchange files between two devices.
- Then, on the same screen, put the check mark next to the Mac account you want to use and enter the password to allow the connection.
- Finally, click Done to save the changes.
Now you need to add a shared folder. To do it:
- Right-click on the folder you want to share
- In the menu that opens, click Get info.
- In the screen that opens, put the check mark next to the Shared Folder box.
In addition, you can also share a folder in the cloud, using the services provided by Apple (iCloud) or other services such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
Create a burn folder
If you want to transfer files to a CD or DVD, then you need to create a burn folder. To do it:
- Click File, from the top left menu.
- Then select New Burn Folder.
The folder created will be empty. Now you just have to drag on it any file or folder you want to burn.