In this guide, I will explain to you how to download and install Office 365 and its applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on your computer and mobile devices.
Office 365 is Microsoft’s office software and includes Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Access, Notes, and Outlook. You can find many other free office products such as the LibreOffice suite, but Microsoft Office 365 is the best.
Table of Contents
- Office 365:
- How to install Office 365:
- How to install Office Mobile
Office 365: subscriptions and requirements
Microsoft Office is available as a downloadable software on Windows and Mac, as a mobile application or as an online web application.
To get Office 365 you need a Microsoft account and sign up for a subscription (monthly or yearly).
Microsoft offers various types of subscriptions, three plans for Home and three plans for business.
The three plans for Home are:
• Office 365 Personal – it costs $6,99 per month or $69,99 / year. With the Personal plan, you can use Office applications on a Windows PC or a Mac and includes 1TB of space for storing files on OneDrive (the Microsoft cloud storage service) and 60 minutes of conversation per month on Skype. In addition, Personal unlocks the advanced features of Office apps for mobile devices.
• Office 365 Home – it costs $9,99 per month or $99,99 / year. With the Home plan, Office can be used by six users on Windows or Mac and includes 1TB of storage space on OneDrive and 60 minutes of conversation per month on Skype. In addition, Home unlocks the advanced features of Office mobile on five smartphones and five tablets.
• Office Home & Student 2019 – it costs $149,99 / year. This plan includes only Excel, Word and PowerPoint applications.
Furthermore, if you are not sure that Office 365 is right for you, you can try the Home suite for free for 30 days.
The three plans for business are:
• Office 365 Business – it costs $8.25 / month. The plan includes all Office applications on PC (Windows or Mac) and 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage.
• Office 365 Premium – it costs $12.50 / month. The plan includes all Office applications on PC (Windows or Mac) and 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage, business email and other services.
• Office 365 Business Essentials – it costs $5 / month. The plan does NOT include Office applications for desktop, but only the business email.
Mobile Office applications are free if you use them on devices with size equal to or less than 10.1 “. Otherwise, an Office 365 subscription is required.
Even Office Online is free. Moreover, to use it, you don’t need to download and install software on your computer. But Office online is a lighter version of Office 365 and does not include all the features you find in the desktop version.
If you want to use Office 365 you have to check that your device has the correct requirements:
- RAM: Windows: 4GB RAM; 2 GB RAM (32-bit); MacOS: 4 GB RAM
- Processor: Windows: 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, 2-core; MacOS: Intel processor
- Disk space: Windows: 4.0 GB of available disk space; MacOS: 10 GB of available disk space
- Operating system: Windows: Windows 7 or later; MacOS: one of the three most recent versions.
How to install Office 365
To install Microsoft Office, as already mentioned, you need to get a Microsoft account, sign up for a subscription and then download and install the software on your computer.
If you don’t already have a Microsoft account, to open one, follow the steps below:
- from your browser, visit www.office.com
- Click Sign in, the white button in the middle of the screen
- Then click Create one.
- Enter the email and password you want to associate to your account and follow the wizard.
For more details, you can read my guide How to create a Microsoft account.
Sign up for a Subscription
Once you’ve completed the Microsoft account activation process, you need to sign up for a subscription.
- Go to the home page of the official Microsoft website
- Then click for Home or for Business.
- If you have clicked for Home, choose between Home, Personal and Home & Student 2019. If you have clicked for Business, choose between Business, Business Premium, Business Essentials
If you choose the subscription Home plan, you can decide to try Office 365 for 30 days (Try free for 1 month). Otherwise, you can buy it, Buy now.
If you click Try free for 1 month:
- first of all, you need to log in to your Microsoft account.
- Then click Start now and Add a payment method. You can choose between a credit card or PayPal.
- Then click Next and finally Buy.
If you click Buy Now the shopping cart page opens, and you can view the product you have chosen. Then click Complete Transaction to purchase the product.
Office 365 Download and Installation
When you have completed the purchase process (or free trial subscription), you can install the software on your computer.
- Click Download, the large red button to download the software.
- When the download is complete, you’ll get a file.
If you are a Windows user, you will get a .exe file. Click it twice and then click YES to install the software and all Office products on your computer. At the end of the installation, a message will be shown informing you that the Office 365 applications are ready to be used.
If you are a MacOS user, you will get a .pkg file. Click it twice to open it. Then press Continue and then Accept. Select the destination disk of the suite, click Continue and then Install. Finally, enter your Mac password, and the installation will be completed.
How to install Office 365 Mobile
If you want to use Office on your smartphone or tablet, you can do it. Simply download the free application you are interested in your device: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Open Play Store (Android devices) or Apple Store (for iOS)
- Search for the app you want to use by typing its name in the search bar.
- Tap icon of the app.
- Then click Install (Get on iPhone) and then accept.
- Wait for the download.
- When the download is complete, you can start using the app.