A 7z file is a compressed archive, and like a zip file, can contain any type of file. But how to open a 7z file? In this guide, I’ll suggest you some programs/software and apps that you can use to open 7z files, for both Windows and MacOS.
Table of Contents
Open a 7z file on MacOS: The Unarchiver
If you want to extract 7z files on a Mac, I recommend The Unarchiver. It’s a free application that allows you to open compressed files like a 7z file.
The Unarchiver is available for the download on the Mac App Store or on the official website of the app.
To use it:
- First of all you need to download The Unarchiver on your Mac. To do it, open the Apple store from your MacOS and search for The Unarchiver app.
- Once you find it, click on GET to download and install the program on your computer.
- When the installation is complete, click on a 7z file and click the cmd + i key combination on your Mac keyboard.
- In the new screen that appears, click Open With, and select The Unarchiver from the drop-down menu.
- Click Edit All to confirm the changes.
From now on, whenever you double click on a 7z file, it will open.
Open 7z files on Windows: 7-Zip
If you are a Windows user, I suggest you to use 7-Zip to open a 7z file. Like The Unarchived, it’s a free software and you have to download it on your computer to use it.
- From your computer, go to the 7-Zip home page and click on Download located next to 64-bit x64 (if you use a 64-bit operating system) or next to 32-bit x86 (if you use a 32-bit operating system). You’ll get a .exe file.
- When the download is complete, open the file you just downloaded, by double clicking on it.
- The click Yes and then Install and Close to complete the installation process.
Now you have to set 7-Zip to automatically open the 7z files when you double click on them. To set 7-Zip as the default program to open 7z archives:
- Open the 7-Zip program.
- Then, in the window that opens, select Options from the 7-Zip Toolbar.
- Then click on the “+” button twice and then on Apply and finally, on OK to save the changes.
To extract the contents from a 7z file: first of all select the files you find in 7z and drag them to the desktop or to another folder.
Open 7z files on mobile
If you need to open a 7z file from the smartphone or tablet, you have to know that there are a lot of apps that allow you to do it in a very simple and free way. Like others apps, you need to download the app you want to use on your mobile device.
If you are an Android user, you can use 7Zipper, downloadable from the Play Store.
While if you have an iPhone / iPad I suggest iZip which also supports cloud storage services, such as Dropbox and iCloud Drive.