Microsoft Word is a word processing program developed by Microsoft. The most recent version of Microsoft Word is Word 2019 and is included in the Microsoft Office 2019 suite (and in Office 365).
Office 365 also includes other applications such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Access.
Word is available for the Windows operating systems, and MacOS. You just have to create a Microsoft account, choose and subscribe to a plan (monthly or yearly) and install office 365 on your computer. If you want more details about the available subscriptions, you can visit the official Office 365 page, and choose whether to buy a license or try Office for free for 30 days.
Microsoft Word is also available for free on the Web (online version) and as an app for mobile devices.
What can you do with Microsoft Word?
With Microsoft Word you can:
- Create a new document with paragraphs and bullet points.
- Insert headers, footnotes and page breaks
- Insert images with captions, videos, graphics, shapes, and tables.
- Set and change page margins, font, size, color, and line spacing.
- Create a document using the preconfigured templates: brochure, letter, calendar, flyer
- Use the Revisions feature to review the document
- Use the proofing tools (e.g., Editor) to correct the text
- Save the document wherever you want, even in OneDrive, and then use them on your computer, tablet or phone.
- Share the document with other people, communicate via chat, and collaborate with others, wherever they are.
Basic functions of Word
When you open Microsoft Word, at the top, you find some tabs that are used to manage the document.
The most important tabs are:
- File: in the File menu there are the tools to create a new document or open an already created one. File is also used to save the document, print it and share it.
- Home: in the Home tab you will find the text formatting tools: font, size, color, alignment, bullet points and much more.
- Insert: in this tab, you will find all the tools to insert the elements within the page: images, links, comments, page number, header, footer, tables, graphs, page breaks, symbols, emoij, and much more.
- Layout: in the Layout menu you will find how to set the margins, orientation and page size. Furthermore, you will find all the tools to format the test paragraphs, such as the indent (right and left) and the spacing between the paragraphs (before and after).
- References: with References, you can create indexes and insert footnotes.
- Review: the Review tab is very important because it includes the tools for spelling and Grammar checking. Also, here you can find the tools to add, edit or delete comments.
- View: the View tab allows you to view and edit the structure of a document to fit the print.