This guide will show you how to write on PDF. Many applications allow you to edit PDFs at no cost, in a very simple way. I’ll explain to you how to write on a PDF file with different free apps and different online services that can be used at no cost.
Table of Contents
Preview on Mac
If you have a Mac and you need to add text in a PDF document you can use Preview. Preview is the built-in application for viewing images and PDF documents included in MacOS.
To write on a PDF file with Preview:
- Open the file you want to edit by double-clicking on it.
- Then click on the briefcase icon, situated on the toolbar (top right) to display the markup toolbar.
- Click the text tool (the icon with the letter “T”). It will appear a rectangle. Use the mouse to move it (drag it) where you want to enter your text and start typing.
You can format the text as you want. You can change the size, the alignment, and the font. Simply click on the letter “A” icon on the toolbar.
The changes are automatically saved. Otherwise, you can save it by clicking File and then Export or Export as PDF.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to edit the text already included in the document, but you can copy or highlight it.
Write on PDF with LibreOffice
If it’s not a problem for you, you can even download new software on your pc to edit your PDF document. For example, you could download LibreOffice.
LibreOffice is a free open source that allows you to edit PDFs. You can add custom texts to your PDFs, and add other customizations, such as arrows, highlights, images, etc. LibreOffice is compatible with MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
To download LibreOffice:
- From your browser, go to the official website of the software.
- Click Download Now located in the middle of the page. When the download is complete, if you have a Windows PC, open the LibreOffice installation package (LibreOffice_xx_Win_x86.msi) and click twice Next and then Install. Then Yes and End to complete the setup. If you have a Mac, open the dmg package and drag the software icon into the MacOS Applications folder. Then, open LibreOffice and select Open from the menu that appears.
After downloading the app, you can start adding text to your PDF document.
- Open LibreOffice and click Open File to select the PDF document to edit.
- After opening the PDF document, select the text tool (the icon with the ‘T’) from the toolbar at the top of the screen and create a rectangle box (Text box) on the PDF, where you want to add the text. To create the text box, press down the left mouse button, and drag the mouse to the right.
- Then start writing in the text box. You can format the text such as size, font, color, using the tools on the right.
- You can also insert other elements such as arrows, geometric shapes, lines, and images. To do it use the appropriate buttons located on the left sidebar.
- When you’ve done, you can save the document. Click File, at the top, on the toolbar. Then select Export as PDF or Export.
Write on PDF using online tools: Google Drive
If you don’t want to install software on your computer, you can modify your PDF document even with online services. For example, you can use Google Drive.
Google Drive is a cloud storage service that includes the tools to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations and online forms.
Google Drive is free up to 15GB of space and is compatible with all popular browsers.
To use it:
- From your browser, go to the home page of the service and sign in to your Google account.
- Then, if the PDF document is not already stored in Google Drive, you have to upload it. So, click New, on the left sidebar and then select File Upload. Select the PDF file you want to edit and click choose.
- When the upload is complete, double-click on the PDF just appeared in Google Drive.
- When the file is open, click Open with Google Docs at the top.
- Now the PDF document is like a Word document, and you can edit it however you want. You can add text or edit the texts already present in the document. You can also add images, tables, and other elements.
When you have finished, you can save it on your PC. Click File and select Export as PDF.